There are two configuration methods, Normal Mode and AP mode, explained below.
- Default is Normal mode, however if Normal Mode connection fails, please try connecting in AP mode.
- If you have a dual band router with both a 2.4GHz band and a 5GHz band in one SSID (network name), you will need to separate the bands or connect via AP mode for stable connection.
- If you have a dual band router with both a 2.4GHz band and a 5GHz band with separate SSIDs (network names) and initial connection fails, please ensure you are connected to the 2.4GHz band only. If still having trouble, please attempt connection in AP mode.
Outlets/Plugs – AP MODE:
Light Switches- Normal Mode:
Please check your phone/tablet settings to make sure you are connected to your 2.4GHz Wi-Fi. If you are not sure what your router’s output signal strength is, please contact your internet provider.
Next, make sure your device is in close range to your Wi-Fi router. The LED indicator on the bottom of the switch should be flashing quickly (2-3x per second) when you are initiating connection.
If after wiring the switch and turning the air-gap switch ON, the LED light does not automatically begin flashing, please follow below steps to initiate flashing LED light:
- Ensure the Air-Gap Switch on the bottom of the dimmer is ON
- Press the top paddle button quickly 5 times in a row. On the sixth press and hold for 5-8 seconds and release once you see the LED light quickly flicker/flash (this is very subtle). Once released, wait 5 seconds, and the LED should begin quickly flashing.
Once the LED light is quickly flashing, within the CE Smart app, click add device, click light switches, confirm rapidly blinking, enter the password for your 2.4GHz network (case sensitive) and click confirm to connect your switch. While connecting, it is normal for the LED light to stop flashing.
See below tips if you are having trouble getting the LED indicator flashing on the Smart Dimmer:
- The LED will begin quickly flashing a few seconds after releasing the paddle. Ensure you are giving it time to begin flashing.
- The flicker you are looking for (which signals you to release your hold) is very subtle; do not hold the paddle down longer than 10 seconds.
- Try counting to ‘6-1000’—Press top paddle 5 times quickly, on sixth press and hold while counting 1-1000, 2-1000, 3-1000, 4-1000, 5-1000, 6-1000. Release and wait 5 seconds for LED to begin flashing.
- If attempting the process more than once, keep the air-gap switch on in between attempts.
Light Switches - AP MODE:
If you have a dual band network that also includes a 5GHz signal, please ensure that you are choosing to select to connect to only your 2.4GHz network. If the dual band networks do not have separate SSIDs (network names) or if connection is still failing, you may need to attempt connection in AP mode.
Please follow the below steps to attempt AP mode connection:
First, ensure that the LED on the switch is rapidly flashing; if you need assistance with this step, please look above at “normal mode” for assistance on how to get the switch rapidly flashing.
Once LED is rapidly flashing on the switch, you will complete the below process; the goal is to get the switch’s LED slowly flashing (1x every 3 seconds):
- Press the top paddle button quickly 5 times in a row. On the sixth press and hold for about 5-8 seconds and release once you see the LED light quickly flicker/flash (this is very subtle). Once released, wait 5 seconds, and the LED should begin slowly flashing.
- Once the LED is slowly flashing, open the CE Smart App, click add device, click light switches, then in the top right corner select AP Mode. Confirm the indicator is slowly blinking. Enter your 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi password (case sensitive) and confirm.
- A pop-up message will appear, click 'connect now.' You will be brought to your Wi-Fi Settings to connect to device’s access point name.
- Locate devices access point name ‘CESmart-xxxx’ or ‘SmartLife-xxxx’ and tap to connect.
- Give it a few seconds to connect. Once connected to the device’s Wi-Fi, navigate back to the CE Smart App and connection will begin.
If you’re unable to connect in either mode, please reference the below article for router settings
If you continue to have issues connecting, please contact us and include:
- Device type you’re unable to connect
- Make/model of your phone/tablet that you are attempting to install the devices on
- Make/model of your Router and your Internet Service Provider