There are two configuration methods, EZ Mode (normal mode) and AP mode, explained below.
First, please check to ensure your phone/tablet being used to connect smart devices is connected to your 2.4 GHz WiFi network.
- CE Smart Home Devices require connection to a 2.4GHz band.
- Default Connection is Normal/EZ mode, however if Normal/EZ Mode connection fails, please try connecting in AP mode.
- If you have a dual band router with both a 2.4GHz band and a 5GHz band in one SSID (network name), use AP mode to connect.
- If you have a dual band router with both a 2.4GHz band and a 5GHz band with separate SSIDs (network names) and initial connection fails, please ensure you are connected to the 2.4GHz band only. If connection fails again, please attempt connection in AP mode.
After wiring the switch, turn the air-gap switch ON (to the Right).
If the LED indicator begins rapidly flashing for more than ~10 seconds, then the switch is already in normal/EZ pairing mode and you won't need to do the '5 presses, hold the 6th' step to put the switch into pairing mode.
If the LED indicator flashes a few times after switching the air-gap ON, but then stops: this is normal, but the dimmer is NOT in pairing mode; follow the below steps to put your switch into pairing mode and connect.
Light Switches- Normal/EZ Mode:
The LED pairing indicator (on the bottom of the dimmer switch) should be quickly flashing (2x per second) when you are initializing connection in normal mode.
Please check your phone/tablet settings to make sure you are connected to your 2.4GHz Wi-Fi band.
If, after wiring the dimmer and turning the air-gap switch ON, the LED indicator does not automatically begin [consistently] flashing, please follow below steps to initialize a quick flashing LED light:
- Ensure the Air-Gap Switch on the bottom of the dimmer is ON
- Press the top paddle button quickly 5 times in a row. On a sixth press, press and hold for 5-8 seconds and release once you see the LED light quickly flicker/flash (this is very subtle). Once released, wait 5 seconds, and the LED should begin quickly flashing.
Once the LED light is quickly flashing, within the CE Smart app, click add device, click light switches, enter your 2.4GHz Wi-Fi name and the corresponding 2.4GHz network password (case sensitive), click Next, confirm rapidly blinking, click Next to connect your switch. While connecting, it is normal for the LED indicator to stop flashing.
See below tips if you are having trouble getting the LED indicator flashing on the Smart Dimmer:
- The LED will begin quickly flashing 3-5 seconds after releasing the paddle. Ensure you are giving it time to begin flashing.
- The flicker you are looking for (which signals you to release your hold) is very subtle; do not hold the paddle down longer than 10 seconds.
- Try counting out loud while holding the 6th press to ‘six-1000’—Press top paddle 5 times quickly, on sixth press and hold counting 1-1000, 2-1000, 3-1000, 4-1000, 5-1000, 6-1000. Release and wait 5 seconds for LED to begin flashing.
- If attempting the process more than once, keep the air-gap switch on in between attempts.
Light Switches - AP MODE:
The LED indicator should be slowly flashing (1 time every 2 seconds) when initializing connection.
Please follow the below steps to attempt AP mode connection:
First, ensure that the LED on the switch is rapidly flashing; if you need assistance with this step, please look above at “normal/EZ mode” for assistance on how to get the switch rapidly flashing.
Once the LED is rapidly flashing on the switch, you will complete the below process; the goal is to get the switch’s LED slowly flashing (1 time every 2 seconds):
- Press the top paddle button quickly 5 times in a row. On a sixth press, press and hold for 5-8 seconds and release once you see the LED light quickly flicker/flash (this is very subtle). Once released, wait 5 seconds, and the LED should begin slowly flashing.
- Once the LED is slowly flashing, open the CE Smart App, click add device, click light switches, enter your 2.4GHz Wi-Fi name and the corresponding 2.4GHz network password (case sensitive), click Next, then in the top right corner select "EZ Mode" then AP Mode. Confirm the indicator is slowly blinking, and click Next to continue.
- A pop-up message will appear, click 'go to connect' or connect now.' You will be brought to your Wi-Fi Settings to connect to dimmer's Wi-Fi access point name.
- Locate devices access point name ‘CESmart-xxxx’ or ‘SmartLife-xxxx’ and tap to connect.
- Wait 5-10 seconds to ensure it is connected. Once connected to the device’s Wi-Fi, navigate back to the CE Smart App and connection will begin.
While connecting, it is normal for the dimmer's LED light to stop flashing.
If you’re unable to connect in either mode, please reference the below article:
Device Connection Failure, Recommended Router Settings
If you continue to have issues connecting, please contact us and include:
- Device type you’re unable to connect
- Make/model of your phone/tablet that you are attempting to install the devices on
- Make/model of your Router and your Internet Service Provider